17th Annual Montezuma Muckrace: a 24-hour Birding Competition
September 6th-7th, Friday- Saturday
7 p.m.-7 p.m.
Registration begins now and will end August 21st
Audubon New York and Friends of the Montezuma Wetlands Complex announce the 17th annual Montezuma Muckrace, to be held in September 6-7. This 24-hour birding competition raises funds to support conservation projects within the Montezuma Wetlands Complex.The Muckrace starts at 7:00 p.m. on September 6th and ends 24 hours later with a brief closing ceremony at the Montezuma Audubon Center.
Our goal this year is to raise $12,000 to establish a general fund for habitat restoration and improvement projects throughout the complex. We are in need of building up our Habitat Restoration/MARSH fund so that the Friends can have some flexibility to respond to ongoing and/or unexpected needs. All funds collected will be administered by FOTMWC in consultation with USFWS, NYSDEC, and the staff at the MAC.
Money is raised through pledges sought by participants, registration fees, and sponsorships. Again this year, FOTMWC will match money raised by the top three-fundraising teams. Last year's competition generated $13,097, which will fund both a viewing platform on the Deep Muck site, and some wetland restoration along the Seneca River. Donations are solicited through pledges sought by participants, registration fees, and sponsorships. Each participating team keeps a check list of species seen within the boundaries of the Complex for any or all of the 24-hour period.
Some ways the funds might be used besides supporting wetland and grassland habitat restoration in the Complex:
- we would like to continue our support for Black Duck banding and data collection
- matching money for grant applications
- projects that enhance access (trails, blinds, viewing platforms)
- purchase of supplies to support the MARSH program (e.g. waders, GPS units, optics)
As funds are appropriated and put to use, we will post addendums to the 2013 Muckrace Musings to keep you apprised of all the good work your donations have supported.- See more at: http://friendsofmontezuma.org/muck_race.html#sthash.74h3iosW.QyuUzW8k.dpuf
There are several levels of participation:
- Competitive (3 or more individuals who must count together)
- Youth (ages 9-16, any number, identifying birds without adult assistance)
- Low-Carbon (any number, no motorized assistance - biking, walking, canoeing, etc)
- Family/Mentor (any number, at least one parent/leader with any number of young/beginning birders)
- Recreational (any number of adults)
Participants can register and raise funds online through this Friends of the Montezuma Wetlands Complex web page. For more information about participating, becoming a team sponsor, or to be added to the mailing list, please contact Jane Graves. The registration deadline is August 21st. Registration and pledge forms are also available below. So, round up a team and join us for this premier fall birding event to raise money for bird conservation efforts at the Montezuma Wetlands Complex in central New York!