You can help!
Even with the help of diligent community members and volunteers, the problems with invasive species continue to grow. Here is a list of what you can do to help stop the spread of invasives.
By simply choosing native plants when we landscape our yards, neighborhood parks, and public spaces, we can help restore vital habitat for birds in our communities.
In your backyard & community - the Audubon At Home program offers many great practical tips for homeowners to create bird friendly backyards and community gardens using native species. Properly selected native plants naturally require less time, energy, and water to maintain, and reduce the need for fertilizers and pesticides to be use. Visit the Audubon At Home website to learn more about what species are good to plant, and for more practical tips for planting a bird friendly backyard.
- Removing any mussels, plants and other growth from your boat and trailer, and dispose of them on land.
- Wash boats, trailers, and equipment with hot water, rubbing down gritty areas or spraying with a high-pressure hose. Allow all equipment to dry between uses.
- Drain all water from bilges, live wells, bait buckets and coolers, and discard excess bait on dry land.
- Flush motors and engines on land - not in the water.
- Wash all tackle before using again.
You can also visit these websites:
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- New York Invasive Plant Council
- National Invasive Species Council
- NYS DEC Invasive Species Task Force
- Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service Native Plants and Gardening Links - List of native plant resources including native gardens, seed sources, and much more
- North American Native Plant Society - List of native plant resources and organizations
- U.S Environmental Protection Agency, Green Landscaping with Native Plants Landscaping with Native Plants Factsheet - Excellent compendium of native plant information and resources
- The Nature Conservancy Wildland Invasive Species Team
- The Plant Conservation Alliance's Alien Plant Working Group
- Aquatic Nuisance Species Task Force
- National Biological Information Infrastructure Invasive Species Information Node