Guest Speakers, Workshops, and other Special Events
The late Bob DeRoo was an avid outdoorsman and a dedicated conservationist. He was a firm believer in the importance of mentoring youth, the future stewards of our precious natural resources, and it is our hope that youth ages 12-15 will learn about the role of conservation in hunting at this event held in his honor.
Click here to download the registration forms.
Montezuma Birding Tours
Grab your binoculars or camera and join us for a guided birding tour! There are dozens of bird species that spend the summer at the Montezuma Wetlands Complex raising their young and preparing for the fall migration. On a tour, we are likely to see or hear Sandhill Cranes, Black Terns, Bald Eagles, Prothonotary Warblers, and many other species of birds. Binoculars will be available for loan.
You can register for a seat in our van or follow behind the van in your own vehicle. Upon checking in for the tour, participants will receive a conference call phone number to hear the Audubon educator narrate the tour and ask questions between stops. Guests are welcome to get out of their vehicles at each stop.
To register for a Montezuma Birding Tour, please click the date you wish to attend and you will be redirected to the registration page.
- Fee for driving in your vehicle: $5/child, $10/adult, $30/family
- Fee for riding in the MAC van: $10/child, $15/adult
- Meet at Montezuma Audubon Center (2295 State Route 89, Savannah, NY). For a prompt departure, please arrive 15 minutes early to use the restroom and check-in.
- Suitable for ages 5 and up.
- Space is limited and pre-paid online reservations are required.
- Feel free to bring your own binoculars, scope, or camera.
- Call 315-365-3588 or email email@example.com with questions.
|Wednesday||08/17/22||1 - 3:30 p.m.|
|Saturday||08/27/22||10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. SOLD OUT|
|Thursday||09/01/22||5 - 7:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday||09/14/22||10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday||09/21/22||1 - 3:30 p.m.|
|Thursday||09/29/22||4:30 - 7 p.m.|
If there is no availability for a tour date and time you would like to attend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a waitlist. We also offer private birding tour experiences. Please scroll down for more information.
Public Program Cancellation/Reimbursement Policy:
- If the Montezuma Audubon Center (MAC) cancels an event for any reason, we will initiate a full reimbursement to your original method of payment.
- If you need to cancel your registration for an event, please call or email the MAC at 315-365-3588 or email@example.com at your earliest convenience.
- If you cancel more than seven days before the event, we will initiate a reimbursement minus a 10% administrative fee, to your original form of payment.
- No reimbursements are issued for cancellations received less than a week before the date of the event.
Montezuma Audubon Center K-12 Field Trips
Designed for Kindergarten through high school students to connect with nature through minds-on and hands-on lessons and activities—inspiring children today to conserve the Earth for tomorrow.
Private Birding Tours—Reconnect with Nature at Montezuma
Enjoy a unique bird-watching tour of the 50,000-acre Montezuma Wetlands Complex! These outings are a great way to catch up with family members, close friends, or co-workers, and experience the birds, other wildlife, and habitats that make Montezuma an Audubon Important Bird Area. Choose from driving tours, birding walks, canoeing/kayaking excursions, and snowshoeing hikes. All tours are led by National Audubon Society staff and include equipment rentals, binoculars, and bird guides.
For driving tours, you will follow behind the Audubon van in your own vehicle to Montezuma’s marshes, forests, and grasslands to explore several birding hotspots and the abundant wildlife as they go about their activities. Participants will receive a conference call phone number to hear the Audubon educator narrate the tour and ask questions between stops. Guests are welcome to get out of their vehicles at each stop (facial coverings required and physical distancing guidelines must be followed).
- Fee: $150
- Available year-round for groups of up to 10 people
- To plan and reserve your customized tour, call 315-365-3588 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
"The highlight of our visit to the Finger Lakes region was the private bird watching tour through the Montezuma Audubon Center. Since it was only my immediate family and the tour guide, it was the perfect COVID-friendly event for our vacation. The tour guide met us at the Audubon Center, lent out sanitized binoculars, and explained what type of birds we were planning to see. We then followed the Audubon Center van in our own car and were able to communicate with the tour guide using a conference line throughout the drive. We made four stops and at each stop, we had the opportunity to ask questions while bird watching. My kids, ages 5 & 8, and my parents in their late 70's enjoyed it as much as I did. We were lucky enough to see a Bald Eagle within close range and saw several circling in the distance. We also learned about waterfowl and spotted several species. My kids couldn't wait to get home and tell my husband all about their adventures of bird watching, while my parents were quick to post their bald eagle photos on social media. The tour guide had proper masking and distancing throughout the entire two and a half hour event. I highly recommend that anyone, regardless of age, consider this for their next Finger Lakes vacation." —Hadas Liebermann (Kingston, NY)
Become a Member of the Montezuma Audubon Center
You are what hope looks like to a bird. Your membership will help secure the future for birds at risk from climate change, habitat loss, and other threats. Protect birds and you protect the Earth.