Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
On The Canals Excursions
Embark on a guided paddle adventure along the Erie Canal and Clyde River in search of Bald Eagles, Great Blue Herons, and other wildlife adjacent to the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge. These FREE excursions, led by Montezuma Audubon Center staff, will launch by kayak from the Rivers Crossing Campground located at 508 NY-89, Savannah, NY 13146.
This offering will run from July 9 – August 29, Fridays through Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., and lasts for approximately 2 hours. Suitable for ages 12 and up. Limited availability and registration is required. Solo kayaks, paddles, and personal floatation devices will be provided.
On The Canals is intended to give as many participants as possible the opportunity to enjoy a canal experience, at no cost. You are limited to participating in an excursion only once. Resale is prohibited. We reserve the right to cancel a reservation if these terms are not met.
Click on the links below to register.
- Friday, July 9 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Friday, July 9 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Saturday, July 10 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Saturday, July 10 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Sunday, July 11 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Sunday, July 11 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Friday, July 16 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Friday, July 16 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Saturday, July 17 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Saturday, July 17 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Sunday, July 18 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Sunday, July 18 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Friday, July 23 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Friday, July 23 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Saturday, July 24 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Saturday, July 24 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Sunday, July 25 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Sunday, July 25 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Friday, July 30 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Friday, July 30 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Saturday, July 31 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Saturday, July 31 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Sunday, August 1 @ 10 SOLD OUT
- Sunday, August 1 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Friday, August 6 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Friday, August 6 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Saturday, August 7 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Saturday, August 7 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Sunday, August 8 @ 10 a.m. SOLD OUT
- Sunday, August 8 @ 1 p.m. SOLD OUT
- Friday, August 13 @ 10 a.m.
- Friday, August 13 @ 1 p.m.
- Saturday, August 14 @ 10 a.m.
- Saturday, August 14 @ 1 p.m.
- Sunday, August 15 @ 10 a.m.
- Sunday, August 15 @ 1 p.m.
- Friday, August 20 @ 10 a.m.
- Friday, August 20 @ 1 p.m.
- Saturday, August 21 @ 10 a.m.
- Saturday, August 21 @ 1 p.m.
- Sunday, August 22 @ 10 a.m.
- Sunday, August 22 @ 1 p.m.
- Friday, August 27 @ 10 a.m.
- Friday, August 27 @ 1 p.m.
- Saturday, August 28 @ 10 a.m.
- Saturday, August 28 @ 1 p.m.
- Sunday, August 29 @ 10 a.m.
- Sunday, August 29 @ 1 p.m.
(Public) Montezuma Bird Watching Tours
The summer months are a fantastic time to visit the Montezuma Wetlands Complex. Come along as we explore some popular birding hot spots and look and listen for an amazing array of bird species and nature happenings. Participants will drive their own vehicle and receive a conference call phone number to hear the Audubon educator narrate the tour and ask questions between stops.
Click on the dates below for more information and to register.
- Thursday, July 29 @ 6 - 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 14 @ 10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 25 @ 5:30 - 8 p.m.
Photo: Montezuma Audubon Center
Montezuma Audubon Center School Field Trips
Designed for pre-K through high school students to connect with nature through minds-on and hands-on lessons and activities—inspiring children today to conserve the Earth for tomorrow.
Private Birding Tours—Reconnect with Nature at Montezuma
Enjoy a unique bird watching tour of the 50,000-acre Montezuma Wetlands Complex! These outings are a great way to catch up with family members, close friends, or co-workers, and experience the birds, other wildlife, and habitats that make Montezuma an Audubon Important Bird Area. Choose from driving tours, birding walks, canoeing/kayaking excursions, and snowshoeing hikes. All tours are led by National Audubon Society staff and include equipment rentals, binoculars, and bird guides.
For driving tours, you will follow behind the Audubon van in your own vehicle to Montezuma’s marshes, forests, and grasslands to explore several birding hotspots and the abundant wildlife as they go about their activities. Participants will receive a conference call phone number to hear the Audubon educator narrate the tour and ask questions between stops. Guests are welcome to get out of their vehicles at each stop (facial coverings required and physical distancing guidelines must be followed).
- Fee: $150
- Available year-round for groups of up to 10 people
- To plan and reserve your customized tour, call 315-365-3588 or email email@example.com
"The highlight of our visit to the Finger Lakes region was the private bird watching tour through the Montezuma Audubon Center. Since it was only my immediate family and the tour guide, it was the perfect COVID-friendly event for our vacation. The tour guide met us at the Audubon Center, lent out sanitized binoculars, and explained what type of birds we were planning to see. We then followed the Audubon Center van in our own car and were able to communicate with the tour guide using a conference line throughout the drive. We made four stops and at each stop, we had the opportunity to ask questions while bird watching. My kids, ages 5 & 8, and my parents in their late 70's enjoyed it as much as I did. We were lucky enough to see a Bald Eagle within close range and saw several circling in the distance. We also learned about waterfowl and spotted several species. My kids couldn't wait to get home and tell my husband all about their adventures of bird watching, while my parents were quick to post their bald eagle photos on social media. The tour guide had proper masking and distancing throughout the entire two and a half hour event. I highly recommend that anyone, regardless of age, consider this for their next Finger Lakes vacation." —Hadas Liebermann (Kingston, NY)
Program Cancellation/Reimbursement Policy:
- If the Montezuma Audubon Center (MAC) cancels an event, we will initiate a full reimbursement.
- If you need to cancel registration for an event, you must call or email the MAC at 315-365-3588 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you cancel more than a week before the event, we will initiate a reimbursement minus a 10% administrative fee, or credit you for a future event.
- No reimbursements are issued for cancellations received less than a week before the date of the event.
Bald Eagle Photo: Jim Chagares
Become a Member of the Montezuma Audubon Center
You are what hope looks like to a bird. Your membership will help secure the future for birds at risk from climate change, habitat loss, and other threats. Protect birds and you protect the Earth.