News

Landmark Climate Bill Among Those Passed in Final Days of Session

The New York State Legislature passed the most aggressive climate change legislation in the nation.

(ALBANY, NY - JUNE 20, 2019) - In a flurry of action this week, New York’s lawmakers have wrapped up the legislative session by passing multiple bills that Audubon New York—and many local Audubon chapters—successfully advocated for, including the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA). The CLCPA is an ambitious climate bill that puts us on the path to a cleaner future and serves as a model for the nation.

You helped make this landmark legislation happen! Almost 1,500 members gave voice to birds by signing our action alert in support of a climate bill this past week. Another 1,500 signed in support of establishing a bird-friendly buildings council. Thank you!

Climate change is an urgent threat to our local communities and bird species that depend on New York, including the beloved Piping Plover, Wood Thrush, and Snowy Owl.

The CLCPA reflects this urgency in timing and scope: it calls for New York to eliminate 85% of its overall planet-warming emissions by 2050, while offsetting or capturing the other 15%. While five other U.S. states have adopted 100% clean-energy targets, New York’s calls for the greatest reduction in carbon emissions and is the first to implement an economy-wide climate solution.

It’s been a truly memorable legislative session. New York is living up to its motto and moving “Ever Upward.”

Thanks to our members, local Audubon chapters, and conservation partners who mobilized for change, our birds and our communities have a brighter future.

Join us in saying THANK YOU to our lawmakers - click here.
 

A Few More to Celebrate

PASSED! The Bird-friendly Buildings Council Act establishes a council to promote the use of bird-friendly building materials and design features in buildings; research the magnitude of problems facing birds colliding with buildings; identify existing and emerging products, technologies and concepts to reduce or eliminate bird mortality from building collisions; and develop public awareness. Passage of this legislation would not have been possible without the significant involvement of local chapters Four Harbors Audubon Society and New York City Audubon.

PASSED! The Marine Mammal and Sea Turtle Protection Act helps protect the State-owned waters around Plum, Great Gull, and Little Gull Islands, which provide critical habitat for over 210 bird species. Great Gull Island is one of the most important tern nesting sites on earth, with more than 10,000 pairs of Common Terns and approximately 2,000 pairs of Roseate Tern.

PASSED! A bill that would extend the Department of Environmental Conservation’s authority to prevent the spread of aquatic species for an additional year, which will support habitat for fish, birds, and other wildlife and improve recreational opportunities for boaters and anglers.

Related

UN Reports 1 Million Species on the Verge
News

UN Reports 1 Million Species on the Verge

What’s needed now is transformative change across economic, social, and political arenas.

Read more

New York Moves to Protect Habitat Around Plum Island
Policy Positions

New York Moves to Protect Habitat Around Plum Island

If enacted into law, the bill would protect habitat around Plum Island, Great Gull, and Little Gull Islands.

Read more

MEMORANDUM OF SUPPORT - Bird-friendly Building Council Act
Advocacy

MEMORANDUM OF SUPPORT - Bird-friendly Building Council Act

Audubon New York and partners strongly support the creation a bird-friendly building council to address bird collisions with human-made structures.

Read more